20 May 2020
Your plans for the big move might be on hold for a few months, but there are still numerous preparations you can make until then. Hopefully everything is almost sorted, but have you thought about hidden costs or forgotten minor expenses? These all add up, so make sure you budget for it.
• Deposits and registration fees for new schools – schools can be expensive depending on where you are moving too.
• You might not get your security deposit back on the place you are renting – depending on how much damage was caused.
• Spend more money on a better moving company – they offer a better service and guarantee of your things arriving in one piece.
• Packing supplies – this could add up if you must buy boxes and tape and bubble wrap.
• Moving insurance – this protects your belongings in case of damage or tampering or loss. Replacing everything will cost a fortune.
• Boarding your pets.
• Pet relocation costs – this is a huge expense which includes shipping crates, vets’ fees, import costs etc.
• Stair fees – some movers charge extra if they must cart goods up flights of stairs.
• Extra charges for large items – movers might charge more for large items as more manpower is needed.
• Specialist movers for your valuable art, décor and antiques – this needs special packaging and transportation to avoid breakage or loss.
• Renting storage space – You might be downsizing or have valuable family heirlooms that you don’t want to get rid of.
• Overnight fees - your furniture might arrive late at night and movers can only move the next morning.
• Temporary accommodation/ hotel stays – this adds up if you have not found a place to rent or buy yet.
• Travel insurance – Important to cover cancelled flights or loss of valuable baggage and any hospitalisation needed if you are involved an accident.
• Tips for movers.
• Re-purchasing household items and furniture – a very expensive exercise if you are starting a home from scratch. Even buying the little things like pots and pans, toasters and utensils get expensive very quickly. (Business insider)
This list is by far not complete, but hopefully it will help you prepare for other hidden expenses that might arise with your relocation.
Please note, the above is for education purposes only and does not constitute advice. You should always contact your deVere Acuma adviser for a personal consultation.
* No liability can be accepted for any actions taken or refrained from being taken, as a result of reading the above